Saturday, February 6, 2010

And the sewing begins......

I'm a cloth nappy using mum. Love them. I'd been using a brand that was fairly inexpensive, and for the first 3 years, were fine! But then I discovered pretty, slim lined properly fitted (none of those little packages escaping in these!!) cloth nappies and I was hooked!!

I have research for hours for patterns, material and every nappy forum I could find. Picked the brains of 2 of my uni friends (thanks Nat and Penny!) and many 'help me' queations on the forums, for help in the initial setting up 'I don't know the layers of my nappy' process, and I think I have finally got my head around it all.

I ordered the material (and snaps machine which is still in the box!) and was sooo excited to get my delivery in the post. Here it is:


And my bamboo, microfleece and suedecloth


And my gorgeous PUL


So, for the past 4 days I found the stretch of the material and cut the pattern the right way and glued it together. And yes, took me four days to just do this, Bella only occassionally has a day sleep and Hannah has slipped back into sleeping problems and often will sleep for less than an hour. If I was able to resettle her without having a big sister coming into help, she may sleep for longer. But it is sooo frustrating, going from a little girl 2 weeks ago that would sleep right through the night and would have between 4 and 5 hours sleep during the day (in 2 sleeps) and no resettling required! I thought that I couldn't possible get 2 children with sleeping problems, but I have and I think Hannah is the worst of the 2. But saying that - Bella is now a wonderful sleeper! Anyway....... I digress

Back to the four days to get the preliminary work done...... And in the evenings - too tired (and again one little miss thinks its okay to stay up way past her bedtime!). So yesterday I finally got the machine out and sewed the 2 outer layers - a bright pink PUL and soft pink microfleece - together. Well the first 10cm looked great, then it all turned into a disaster!! And took me about 3 hours to unpick! And I've now pinned it together, rather than glued as I think the glue was making the material stick to the machine (a theory anyway). I was hoping I would have a smooth run, but no such luck :(
The initial cutting


So will hopefully get to 'take 2' this afternoon. We have a 1st birthday this morning, so the girls should hopefully be tired and sleep this afternoon, otherwise Luke is home, so may be able to distract the girls. Although I did hear him saying he wanted to play in the vegie patch and sew some seeds so.............

I'll keep you posted!!

2 comments:

  1. Drooling over your PUL! I would ditch the gluing too - when working with PUL and microfleece it can be quite tricky to pin it together so it sits nicely & doesn't slip - just remember to pull it tight from both ends when you are sewing (iykwim)- that should work. I also pin the 2 fabrics together before sewing with paperclips, if you use pins in PUL it can create holes and points where moisture comes through when in nappy form.
    So happy you have a beautiful blog - I am now a follower! Happy sewing cloth nappy mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth - I'm so excited you have a blog I can follow!! Have fun with all the sewing! If you want any fabrics from over here then let me know and I'll see if I can help get it over to you! Make sure you pics up lots of the gorgeous girls! Look forward to more installments! :)

    ReplyDelete